It is really scary to know how much google knows about you. Why is this a matter of concern, you may ask. The reply is "How could this not be a concern?'
Google is an amazing company with the best set of applications to offer. I just can't feel comfortable without seeing a Google home page on my browser. The chrome was a fascination from the first time I laid hands on it. I love the feature that the address bar is used a search input itself. It's fast and the layout is so good with just what you need. It is years since I migrated from IE. Firefox was a great alternative to IE and now the Chrome surpasses it. Recently , I was doing a lot of searches on LA and what I could do there as a tourist. It amazed me when I noticed, that no matter which website I chanced upon and no matter how far fetched they were from the topic of 'travel and LA' , the ads that popped up were related to California City Passes and tourist related ads. I felt as if I was being stalked.
Google's idea of integrating the 'cloud' in our lives is really impacting the way we use the internet and dependency on the desktop. Thin Clients are the solution for the future , which is what Google is aiming at.
On an average I use the computer to check my mails, maybe house budget /documents in word and excel, upload and see pictures, write my blog, Google search for recipes and what not, news websites etc. Google has a solution for all this. I am drawn towards using the Google docs where I can just use the office suite equivalent and I don't need to worry about taking them where I want to.Its omnipresent wherever I go.I just need an Internet connection. My photos in Picasa , is so easy to access, maintain and share. Google Maps help me find my way anywhere. Our searches, friends, emails, choices, shopping preferences, addresses, places we visit, travel details, health records, pictures...thats our life in a nutshell.
Well Google has access to everything. The optimization algorithms at Google , has a profile for every user and every search that comes out of an IP address. The database is refreshed every 18 months. Those 18 months are surely a good glimse into the people we are and our lives.
Imagine if Google was acquired by another company in future, or there is a data theft at google or there could be an investigation that you are involved in and Google has to give away your details etc. Now thats so much of information to be trusted on in one nest. No matter how much this is an issue, we just cant escape using Google in our lives in so many different ways. But, it is good to know that such a risk exists and we can take care to avoid too much information about us to get leaked outside.
No comments:
Post a Comment