The Internet has always amazed me. As most earthlings born in the past few decades and with the literacy to type on a keyboard, the Internet has captivated me in ways I don't even realize.
The book "Virtually You" by Elias Aboujaoude, attracted my attention immediately. Its a well written book and I would also recommend it to parents, to help them know what all can happen on the internet. He clearly describes the effects of an internet associated life with both adults and children. In his career, he meets lots of people who seem to have messed up the real and online worlds. Affairs with people on second-life, Avatars that people create as perfect mates, husbands on their wives infidelity in the online world, kids who seem to enjoy the terrorizing violent games of Warcrafts! It is a screwed up world out there...thats what I felt as I closed the book.
These may seem like abnormal addictions but this is the life for many individuals caught in the web.
I read an article a few days back, where the author describes as to how much we could reduce the use of gadgets daily:
1. Schedule a e-mail viewing time or an Online Time each day. Stick to checking your emails, facebook accounts and all online activities to that 1 or 2 hours.
2. Never keep the iphone or laptop near the place where you sleep.
3. Curb the urge to check emails / facebook news updates every hour. Try to do that once everyday at the Online Time , that you set.
I can't remember the rest. But these 3 points were key. As a step towards this I even got my data subscription off because I just couldn't stop checking the mail and facebooks app every other time my mind was just drifting to the do-nothing idle time. Its working for me, but I still haven't been able to put away my phone in another room as I sleep. Working on that now :-)
These may seem like abnormal addictions but this is the life for many individuals caught in the web.
I read an article a few days back, where the author describes as to how much we could reduce the use of gadgets daily:
1. Schedule a e-mail viewing time or an Online Time each day. Stick to checking your emails, facebook accounts and all online activities to that 1 or 2 hours.
2. Never keep the iphone or laptop near the place where you sleep.
3. Curb the urge to check emails / facebook news updates every hour. Try to do that once everyday at the Online Time , that you set.
I can't remember the rest. But these 3 points were key. As a step towards this I even got my data subscription off because I just couldn't stop checking the mail and facebooks app every other time my mind was just drifting to the do-nothing idle time. Its working for me, but I still haven't been able to put away my phone in another room as I sleep. Working on that now :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment