Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Vancouver 2010-the winter olympics..its contribution to me!

The olympics was at my city of Vancouver.The 2010 winter olympics was an awesome experience for me.
Its the first time I've followed sports intently.The reason could be because Canada was doing so good and it was just irresistible to watch it.Another reason ,is that it is my first year with my husband and his company gave me an insight and interest into the world of sports.Me and my sister probably dint even have sports on our dictionary!I learnt so much.I feel totally inspired by the attitude of the whole olympic games.The togetherness we felt in the city and the country was indescribable.I was drawn to the stories of athletes and how they found their passion.How they came into being who they are.Majority of the athletes were inspired when they saw a previous olympic in their country or city.The Calgary olympics was a turning point for many.The olympics has certainly influenced lives in different ways.Luger,snow-boarding, curling,the hockey fever, adrenaline rushing fast track races, alpine skiing, cross country, figure skating and so many more.These were the first time I saw these winter sports ever and im hooked on to them now.
Some of  the best moments that remain in my memory of the Olympics;
  • Me and my husband watched as the flamed passed by during the flame relay.It was the first experience that linked us to the spirit of olympics.
  • It was great to see how people embraced the flame everywhere it went and was even more great to see the people who carried them and to read about them.
  • The visuals at the opening ceremony was a treat of technology at its best , to the eyes of millions.
  • Victory walk of Jon Montgomery, skeleton Gold medalist .He enjoyed the victory the best according to me.It was a jolt of enthusiasm and happiness for the games that he inspired in all of us , when he won.
  • Clara Hughe's race and her pace at the 5000m.She just glided the tracks .Her swan song at olympics with another medal,Bronze. Winners like this rarely walk the earth.I was impressed!
  • Jeanine , the figure skater with a bronze.Her mother passed during the games.Her capacity ,maturity and the strength for a great performance was admired by millions.Her mother would have been so proud of her.
  • Figure skating gold medallist, Kim Yu-Na from South Korea->Now, that was a dance that may never be seen again.I dont know anything about skating.But when she moved and did her triple jumps with so much grace and beauty , she looked like an angel moving effortlessly in air.I have no words to describe it justly! It will remain in my memory for a very long time.
  • The ice-hockey women finals between USA and Canada.I never saw a team sulk its face so much while receiving Silver!!
  • And ya, the ice-hockey men's final.Woah!what a victory!
  • Felt great hearing the anthem of different nations especially Canada at the victory ceremony.
  • Usher's concert and Victory ceremony at whistler was a wonderful experience.
  • My husband and me were so impressed with the lighting of the fourth arm of the olympic flame in a humorous way laughing at the malfunctioning of the same during the opening ceremony.
  • I liked the speech by the vancouver committee CEO John Furlong at the closing ceremony.
  • And there is one thing i forgot, I've fallen in love with the I believe song by Nikki!

4 years seems a long time to wait for the next Olympics!

No comments:

Post a Comment